Tips for your postpartum care
Below are a few reminders about taking care of yourself after you deliver your baby.
- Get plenty of rest. Sleep when the baby sleeps.
- Ask for help from friends and family if things seem overwhelming. Remember that taking care of your health and taking some time for yourself is important.
- If you are taking a narcotic pain medication, you can take a stool softener to help daily bowel movements. Drink plenty of water.
- Go for walks to get fresh air.
- Try to meet other new Moms. Talking with other women who recently had babies is a great way to get support and advice.
- If you are nursing and are experiencing discomfort while breastfeeding, try one of these breast creams: Lansinoh or Madela Pur-lan. (These two creams are essentially the same. Not all pharmacies or drug stores carry the same brands.)
- Enjoy your baby!
Talk with your doctor if you have any emotional difficulties after giving birth or feel as though you are struggling with postpartum depression.